Date:      Wed, 09 Jan 2002 13:08:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org, Idar Tollefsen <Idar.Tollefsen@baerum.kommune.no>
Subject:   Re: Using GCC 3 for ports?

On 09-Jan-02 Terry Lambert wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
>> > But CC=gcc30 (or 31) is it? What about include paths? Doesn't
>> > 3.x install it's own set of updated libraries, headers, e.g.?
>>
>> Yes, and those paths are compiled into the compiler as its standard include
>> path, just like /usr/include is compiled into /usr/bin/cc as it's standard
>> include path. :)  Setting CC is enough, the rest is magic. :)
>
> Except for the RTTI and other C++ include files, which, if
> DESTDIR is set, FreeBSD's .mk files override, and you get
> the old versions, and the resulting code doesn't work.
>
> This may also be the 3.0 coredump problem...

No, read the full message about teh coredump problem.  It doesn't handle switch
statements with only a default case properly.  3.1 has this fixed, but 3.1's
code geneation for sparc is broken (it leaves out instructions) so the sparc
port is using 3.0.2 right now.  We've got several patches in teh sparc64 branch
to work around this bug.