Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 05:46:51 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Ty Hoeffer <pth3k@virginia.edu>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wish to setup an FTP server. Try #2

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Ty Hoeffer wrote:

> The admin of the Virginia Tech ftp mirror was kind enough to set me up,
> but I cannot get a connection due to the limited connections he supports
> vs. the hits he is currently getting.
>
> 	Is there any way I can become a tier 1 ftp mirror and get access to
> ftp-master, like I do to cvsup-master?

yes.   please treat the following as an informal procedure (since i'm making
it up on the fly from memory)

send email to peter@freebsd.org requesting rsync access to ftp-master.freebsd.org.

include in your email (to minimize the flow of questions back and forth)

o the host you will be connecting from (name and ip#)
o that you will be doing a complete FreeBSD ftp mirror (approx 50G)
o that you will be applying for a ftpX.freebsd.org CNAME
o your name/organization/contact email

also send a similar email to hostmaster@freebsd.org to get the
DNS CNAME organized.

also send an email to the freebsd webmaster to ensure your new
ftpX.freebsd.org name is listed in the appropriate mirror lists

also organize to setup a rsync server on your machine, so that as a
Tier-1 you can serve downstream mirrors.

cheers,

-jason