Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:18:01 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Scott Corey <scott@bsdprophet.org>
Cc:        uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bla.bz2, what is that ?

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:53:03 -0600
Scott Corey <scott@bsdprophet.org> wrote:

> man bzip2

I always go back and forth in my mind about this--sometimes, I think
it's good to send a beginner to a man page, other times, it seems like
answering a 5 year old's questions about reproduction by handing them a
PhD thesis on DNA.  :)

In this case the man page is a bit rough for a beginner.  The answer he
needs is: tar -yxvf filename.tar.bz2

Or
tar -jxvf filename.tar.bz2

After doing that, however, you might then try Mr. Corey's advice--I've
often thought that one good way to learn how to use man pages is to look
at the ones for the commands you already know--then, you get used to the
layout, etc, and as you get more advanced, it becomes easier and easier
to make good use of them.  (Also look at the man page for tar)

Scott Robbins