Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 18:14:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How much memory for web server?

--- Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:
> Tom Kersten wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am currently running a web/ftp server on the
> > following hardware:
> > 1.7 ghz AthlonXP
> > 512mb DDR memory
> > GA-7vtxe motherboard
> > ...using a cable connection
>
> While your cable connection may be very fast on the
> download side, many companies limit the upload side
> to 10-50% of the download speed.  This could be your
> problem.  Check your cable contract and see exactly
> what your upload speed is.

I actually tested my up & download speed yesterday &
today at www.pcpitstop.com...my speeds today were:
download: 1369 Kb/s
upload: 931 Kb/s

and they were similar yesterday...so the speed should
be alright, shouldn't it?

> > I use X-windows frequently and am wondering how
> much
> > it affects the web/ftp serving performance.
>
> X-windows by itself is not going to hurt your
> http/ftp
> performance on a machine like that.  What are you
> using
> within x-windows?

I primarily run office applications (StarOffice pretty
much), web browsers, a chat program every now and
then, music players....nothing too intensive...I am
trying to learn how to set up FreeBSD as a good
desktop environment...I haven't really learned how to
push it to its limits in any aspect of computing yet
because of my lack of knowledge on the OS & the new
programs

> > From
> > reading past posts, it sounds like this is not
> really
> > the best combination.
>
> What posts are those?

I may have been mistaken on this comment, but after
reading some posts the other day, I was under the
impression that this was taboo....evidently not...my
mistake...

>That machine should be able to
> serve
> gobs of requests per hour.  It's probably capable of
> serving
> more data than your cable connection can handle.

I just built it last fall, it is a "little much" for
what I really need..but, well, I'm kind of
compulsive...

> > I have another box laying around
> > that is a P-166 w/ 48 mb of memory. I am thinking
> > about setting this up with FreeBSD 4.5 as a
> firewal
> > and print server (only serving 2 other computers),
> > would this efficiently work as a web/ftp server
> box
> > also, or is it too slow?
>
> It's all reletive.  How much data are you expectin
> it to
> handle?  Generally, a machine of that calaber can
> handle
> a slow web site and ftp site with no problem.

I am going to serve a personal page that is basically
going to be a test site for me to increase my
knowledge on FreeBSD. I will probably be visiting more
than anyone just to see if it is working the way I
want...if that gives you any idea how "busy" it will
be...

> About 2 years ago, I did a demo on how well FreeBSD
> could
> handle web serving.  I had a MySQL database with
> 10,000
> records being accessed through a web front-end
> running php,
> this was all on a 486/100mhz with 24M of RAM.  The
> people
> I showed the demo to were extremely impressed with
> the
> performance, but the machine was only getting a few
> hits
> per day.
>
> > What kind of hardware is
> > required for serving a personal website...with
> really
> > not a lot of traffic? Any advice is appreciated...
>
> "With really not a lot of traffic", that machine is
> probably
> so overpowered it's ridiculous.  The p133 could
> probably do
> the job easily.
> Watch top(1) and/or systat(1) while the machine is
> running and
> see how hard it's working.  I think you'll find its
> idle most
> of the time.

I need to get the OS installed on the machine...I am
just wondering if it will be able to handle everything
(firewalling & web / ftp / print server)...it sounds
like it should be able to, huh? Thanks for the
response...

Thomas Kersten