Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 13:27:13 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Mark Filipak <filipak@mrincubator.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi error while burning CD

On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 02:39:18PM -0400, Mark Filipak wrote:
> Hi Karel! I'll try to help you even though I've given up on FreeBSD.

Thanks. Indeed, it seems to be a "classic" termination problem. I
didn't think of it because the scsi stuff worked for 4 weeks in this
configuration without problems.

> "Karel J. Bosschaart" wrote:
> >
> -snip-
> >
> > <PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-305 1.03>   at scbus1 target 3 lun 0 (pass1,cd0)
> > <PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W4220T 1.04>  at scbus1 target 4 lun 0 (pass2,cd1)
> > <SCANNER  2.03>                  at scbus1 target 6 lun 0 (pass3)
> >
> > The scanner was added quite recently, but none of these were active
> > while burning the coasters.
>
> 1 - Is the scanner at the end of the SCSI bus?

Yes. It's the only external device, the others are internal.

> 2 - Does the scanner have an external terminator?

No.

> 3 - Does the scanner have an internal terminator enabled?

I don't know. The manual doesn't say anything about termination (!).
I *supposed* it had an internal terminator, but I'm not sure anymore.

> 4 - Is terminator power enabled on the SCSI controller card?

Yes. This was correct for the old situation without scanner, but with
the scanner attached it should be disabled. However, with the card
terminator disabled the machine doesn't boot anymore beyond the point
where it recognizes the scanner, so I suppose the scanner lacks termination.

Because the manual doesn't contain useful information concerning this,
I wrote an email to Trust, manufacturer of the scanner.

I think I'll need an external terminator on the scanner.

Thanks for your reply,
Karel.