Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 12:08:19 -0700
From:      bmah@acm.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Hans Ottevanger <hansot@iae.nl>
Cc:        qa@FreeBSD.ORG, re@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/@LongLink is here again

If memory serves me right, Hans Ottevanger wrote:

> It is caused by problems during installation with files that have names
> longer than 100 characters. In the 4.6 RC2 ports collection there are 17
> such files. In a recently cvsupped port tree there are 22.

Just to catch up people who aren't on the re list:

It's been suggested (by sobomax) that we could make the ports tree
tarball using cpio instead of tar.  The problem is that when I just
tried this, I wound up with a tarball that unpacks perfectly with cpio,
but our system tar chokes on it (it messes up long filenames).
Apparently "the GNU tar format" and "the POSIX tar format" aren't
exactly compatible when it comes to long filenames.  Our system tar
(which is an old GNU tar) claims to do POSIX tar in its manpage, but
this is a lie.  :-(

GNU tar from ports handles the long filenames just fine (the same way
that cpio does).

Bruce.

PS.  For those of you following along at home:

 (cd /usr && \
 find -E ports \! -regex '.*CVS(/.+)?' -a \! -regex 'ports/distfiles/.*' | \
 cpio -o -H ustar | \
 gzip > ${CD_DISC1}/ports/ports.tgz)