Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 22:30:14 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@highveldcs.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?David_Sieb=F6rger?= <drs@rucus.ru.ac.za>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Per-drive ATA configuration? (fwd)

David,

I've tested it abit, in FreeBSD the performance hit from the ATA66 isn't
that much, the main problem is that this one, being my home machine, is a
multiboot system, because of M$'s lack of lateral thought (I suppose)
Windows just simply breaks in half with the ATA66, may even be their
driver for my VIA just doesn't cut it. Even with the VIA service pack
(from VIA themselves) the VIA just isn't up to scratch.

If it weren't for the occasional weekend need for some serious gaming, the
old drive would be out and collecting dust in storage.

Thanks for the advise though, I'll give atacontrol a try.

Will

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, [ISO-8859-1] David Sieb=F6rger wrote:

> Willie Viljoen wrote:
> > I've recently set my system up in a rather perculiar way, the mainboard
> > (an Asus P3V133) has an onboard ATA-66 controller of some VIA flavour. =
> > have a CMD-469 ATA-100 controller lying around, which was needed to run=
 my
> > 40GB drive on an older motherboard.
> [snip]
> > I checked the ata(4) manpage, and they mentioned a sysctl called
> > hw.atamodes. This sysctl (aparently) allows for individual tuning of AT=
> > parameters. However, to my great dismay, I discovered that this sysctl
> > does not exist on my system (FreeBSD 4.6-RC)
>
> It was removed when the new ATA RAID code was MFC'ed during 4.5-STABLE.
>
> > I've tried having sysctl display all its opaque variables, and this sys=
ctl
> > still simply isn't there. I tried setting it from loader.conf asif it w=
ere
> > a kernel tunable, again, to no avail.
> >
> > Has this controle been removed from the ata driver? Or has it simply no=
> > yet been implimented...
>
> On a recent system, you'll need to use atacontrol(8).  I guess you'll
> need to do something like 'atacontrol mode 0 pio4 pio4'.
>
> Though, personally, I would want to get rid of the old drive and I'd
> run the newer drive on the UDMA66 controller.  I doubt the performance
> difference between UDMA66 and UDMA100 is significant, particularly
> with a single drive on the channel.

--=20
Willie Viljoen
Highveld Computing Solutions