Date:      16 Jun 2002 00:13:02 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com, FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>, Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
Subject:   Re: No screensaver applet in gnomecontrolcenter after upgrade  toxscreensaver-4.05

--=-phV9tL7oFvpAc3iubXrb

On Sat, 2002-06-15 at 23:36, Doug Barton wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> >=20
> > On Sat, 2002-06-15 at 08:08, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >      I finally managed to get xscreensaver installed on this system.
> > > However after restarting X (no particular reason, just wanted to), I
> > > figured I'd configure the screensaver, but when I start
> > > gnomecontrolcenter, I can see screensaver in the panel on the left (n=
> > > image).
> > >
> > > Clicking on screensaver doesn't cause the right panel to display the
> > > screensaver configuration options.
> > >
> > > Is there a reason / fix for this?
> >=20
> > Attached are patches to correct this problem.  These have been tested b=
> > myself, and a few other users, and the screensaver capplet icon is
> > successfully installed in GNOME Control Center.
>=20
> Joe, rather than patches, can you explain to me what the actual problem
> is? I think that the patches you attached touched more things than you
> intended.=20

The problem is two-fold.  One, the GNOME datadir is not being set
correctly.  Therefore, the .desktop files are installed in
/usr/X11R6/share instead of /usr/X11R6/share/gnome.  This breaks the
plist and also leaves us GNOME users without a screensaver capplet icon
in gnomecc.

Next, since the pixmaps for xscreensaver are not installed in
/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/pixmaps, gnomecc cannot find an icon for the
screensaver capplet.  I modified the .desktop file so that the
fully-qualified path to the xscreensaver.xpm is specified.

I don't think my patches touched more then intended, but it's certainly
possible I have some extra cruft in there.  I'll go back and take a
look.

Joe

>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Doug
>=20
> --=20
>    "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
>       And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
> 	- George W. Bush, President of the United States
>           State of the Union, January 28, 2002
>=20
>          Do YOU Yahoo!?
>=20