Date:      Sun, 04 Aug 2002 19:19:18 -0700
From:      Desmond Lee <desmond.lee@shaw.ca>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: can no longer log into the machine :(

Hi Darren

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, i think you're right. I've messed up the /etc/master.passwd and
/etc/group files.

I haven't run pwd_mkdb command yet, so i'll look in the /var/backups for the
original master.passwd so that i can copy it back into the /etc/ directory.
What do you mean when you say:
" you may still be able to rebuild using /etc/passwd and /etc/spwd.db."
How can i rebuild using the files mentioned above?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say:
"make sure you updating the CVS tags in those files.  If master.passwd gets
changed, you need to propagate those changes to the other password files by
saying `pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd`"

yes,... i know that backing up is important, i didn't know that you should
run 'mergemaster -p' before you execute buildworld. The book i was reffering
to didn't mention mergemaster untill after doing the 'make installworld' in
the next section of the chapter. Some of the things you can't really learn
from a book, you have to actual go out there and do it :(

Anyways, i can't even log into the machine right now so i can't even try
what you told me to do... do you have any suggestions?

Also, is there any way i can resotre all the files from my /etc/ dir? Are
the orignial /etc/* files in /var/backups so that i can just copy them back
to /etc/?

Thanks for your help and patience.

Desmond