Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:31:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        current <current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: mpd: resource deadlock avoided?

Lars Eggert writes:
> I'm trying to connect to a Cisco VPN server using mpd under -current.
> While the connection setup seems to work fine (see attached log), when I
> try to send traffic over the tunnel, I see these messages:
>
> 	PING hbo.isi.edu (128.9.160.75): 56 data bytes
> 	ping: sendto: Resource deadlock avoided
> 	ping: sendto: No buffer space available
> 	ping: sendto: No buffer space available
> 	ping: sendto: No buffer space available
> 	^C
> 	--- hbo.isi.edu ping statistics ---
> 	4 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
>
> For the first packet after the tunnel comes up, I always get "resource
> deadlock avoided", for all later packets "no buffer space".

This is because the remote external IP address of the VPN tunnel
is equal to the remote internal IP address, and mpd/FreeBSD is
not smart enough to avoid trying to send the encapsulated packet
back through the tunnel.

Try configuring the Cisco box to use separate internal and external
IP addresses, or adding a host route to the remote peer first before
starting mpd.

-Archie