Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:55:08 -0700
From:      "Anthony C. Chavez" <acc@anthonychavez.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Indecisiveness and Domain registrations

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:29:29AM -0600, Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.=
com> wrote:
> Anthony C. Chavez wrote:
> >Now, not to discourage you, but I think you should know that hosting
> >news about BSD-related advocacy events would be a natural extension for
> >Daemon News as well.  Having bsdevents could have the benefit of some
> >good, healthy competition, so I'm not opposed to it.
>=20
> bsdevents.org is not a "news" site like daemonnews. It is for all *BSD=20
> related events that are happening around  the world, and would have=20
> areas to sign up to offer help for those events, and post pictures,=20
> dates and times of the upcoming events, etc.

All right, I must have had my wires crossed.  I stand corrected.

> >However, it is my intention to put together a "to do" list for
> >advocacy.daemonnews.org of our own, perhaps borrowing a lot of the
> >points from the list that was submitted to freebsd-advocacy.
>=20
> Sounds like you are duplicating work here, but makes no difference to=20
> me.  I'm specifically talking about deadlines for the official -advocacy=
=20
> group, not for daemonnews.  I'm just saying the person who "leads"=20
> should also be able to set some goals.  No one here is going to quit=20
> their jobs to work full time on freebsd advocacy, and having a goal is=20
> far from asking that.

Okay, then, we'll just keep one "to do" list.  It'd probably make things
easier that way, anyway.

> >I've stepped forth to lead the charge to address the lack of advocacy
> >materials---something I've wanted to do for ~years~ now, which is why I
> >feel I should be the one to lead it.  I realize that it will be time
> >consuming, and again, I cannot commit to deadlines.  I can promise,
> >however, that it will be done.  I can't let things sit idly by and rot
> >away (unless of course it's my personal Web site). :-)
>=20
> This is my point exactly - you've wanted to do it for years, and never=20
> done it - no big deal, but not a good start for a leader who doesn't=20
> want any deadlines for goals.  Deadlines don't mean anyone will end up=20
> dead or fired, they just help keep people focused..

Good point.  One for which I don't really have a defense, except the
fact that I'm now in a position where I could actually get something
done.

> Oh well, not for me to decide, I'll just go back to -doc work and -www wo=
rk.

Sure it is.  It's for all of us to decide.

It doesn't matter to me what direction this moves.  I just thought that
I'd step forward and volunteer.  If you would rather be our fearless
leader, Eric, then again, you're more than welcome to do it.

To be honest, I'd almost rather that you did.  It's just one less
leadership position that I have to worry about---I already have plenty
as it is!  :-)

If you're interested, why not subscribe to the bsd-advocacy mailing list
that I've set up, and we'll discuss it there?  Again, the signup URL is
https://secure.daemonnews.org/mailman/listinfo/bsd-advocacy

> Eric
>=20
> --=20
> Eric Anderson	   Systems Administrator      Centaur Technology
> Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?

--=20
Anthony Chavez                             http://www.anthonychavez.org/
mailto:acc@anthonychavez.org         jabber:acc@jabber.anthonychavez.org

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr