Date:      Thu, 8 May 2003 11:24:48 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Senator Santorum

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 10:36:09PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:

> No.  Because it would be alienating a right which is inalienable.
> There are people who pretend at it, though...

It's only inalienable if you believe that to be the case. If you can be
tricked into thinking you now belong to somebody, then it's game over for
you. That's how slavery works.

> 	"As an adult, you should be allowed to do with your
> 	 own person and property whatever you choose, as long
> 	 as you don't harm the person or property of another".

Have no quibble with that, except some people don't mind being harmed and
therefore you would have to extend the definition for consensual sex to
cover various fetishes, particularly bondage, domination and S&M activities.

> U.S. Senators are well known for believing Americans should
> not be permitted to do anything without a license from U.S.
> Senators or their duly appointed flunkies.   Hence the siezure
> of the U.S. Internstate Highway system by the federal government
> in 1956, and the ensuing "Driver's License Compact", and the
> need for a drivers license to drive.

I was specifically thinking about the right to do anything they want like
pollute the rest of the planet and specifically avoid any enviromental
legislation that might involve putting up the cost of gas, invade soverign
states without provocation, dictate acceptable faith/religion in foreign
states, steal anything they want, etc., etc. - in other words act as badly
as Britain did in the 19th century causing somewhere close to a 100 years of
misery, death, war and general hatred on a world-wide scale.

But like I said, I didn't want to turn this into an anti-US flamefest.
Instead, let's all just agree that the entire US political system is corrupt
and full of people who unwittingly want all US citizens to be condemned to
misery.

--
Paul Robinson