Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:02:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Dwayne MacKinnon <Dwayne.MacKinnon@xwave.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg_create broken?

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Dwayne MacKinnon wrote:

> Hi all,
> 	Just wanted to chime in that I've encountered the exact same thing,
> although it's a relatively recent thing... I think it happened when I
> ported to 4.5 from 4.2.
>
> 	The only solution I've found, pain in the neck that it is, is to create
> the destination directories on the source box. That keeps pkg_create
> happy, and the proper files are still picked up from the where they're
> specified by SRCDIR.
>
> 	I meant to raise this a long time ago, but I got busy, my package
> creation box was set up so that pkg_create didn't complain, and out of
> sight = out of mind... :-)

doing a ktrace on a dummy package shows the following information:

here's the test plist (in directory /tmp/x.x) being read in..

      "@cwd /tmp/cccc
        @srcdir /tmp/xx
        x.x
       "

this is the 'created' package description being written out..

       "@comment PKG_FORMAT_REVISION:1.1
        @name AAAA
        @cwd /tmp/cccc
        @srcdir /tmp/xx
        x.x
        @comment MD5:1d882c9823718b00feb42ba5707f9c71
        @cwd .
        @ignore
        +COMMENT
        @ignore
        +DESC
       "

And here's the command fed to tar..

       "+CONTENTS
        +COMMENT
        +DESC
        -C
        /tmp/cccc
        -C
        /tmp/xx
        x.x
        -C
        .
       "

The "-C /tmp/cccc" shouldn't be there. Somehow we need to delay the
emmitting of that set of options until it's known that there is no
srcdir following it. Alternatively, the man page hints that
a 'srcdir' would stop a following 'cwd' from having effect in the create
phase.
Unfortunatly changing the order of the entries or adding an arg for
srcdir doesn't remove the extra -C command.