Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:08:40 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        lemon <lemon@aldigital.co.uk>
Cc:        Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
Subject:   Re: VIA EPIA-M10000 board "just works" with FreeBSD 4.8

lemon <lemon@aldigital.co.uk> writes:

> XFree86 is ok under x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server-snap's via code.

Excellent tip, thanks!

I have been running my EPIA 6000 on CURRENT with an add-on ATI PCI
video card because I couldn't get the built-in one to work with the
standard XFree86 load.  Thanks to your point, I'm now running the
XFree snapshot on the built-in CastleRock.  I had to add into my
kernel:

    options 	INET6			#IPv6 communications protocols

to get X11 to work -- it complained about inability to open an IPv6
socket otherwise.

One oddity: the text is noticeably smeared on my LCD versus text when
using the ATI card.  I'm running at the LCD's native 1280x1024
resolution.  Same cable as when I used the ATI card.  Poor analog
circuitry?

> sound works too, y'normal pcm(4).

Hmmm, I see this in dmesg at boot:

    pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 17.5 (no driver attached)

but there's no /dev/pcm devices.  There's also no /dev/MAKEDEV in
FreeBSD-5.x so I'm confused about how I talk to this audio chip.  Any
clues?

FWIW, I'm running diskless but don't see that should be a problem.

Thanks.

PS: Sorry if this is a bit off topic, 6000 vs 10000, but I figured the
    issues would be the same.