Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 2021 11:26:39 +0100
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        Chris Rees <crees@bayofrum.net>
Cc:        Greg Rivers <gcr+freebsd-ports@tharned.org>, "ports@freebsd.org" <ports@FreeBSD.org>, "ler@freebsd.org" <ler@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: www/joomla3 is no longer in the FreeBSD pkg repo

--Apple-Mail=_40064AD8-2EFF-49A1-94DA-C2A1D8DA643A

Hi Chris,

> Am 04.03.2021 um 10:48 schrieb Chris Rees <crees@bayofrum.net>:
> ----
>=20
> - PDFlib Lite
>   Open-source edition for basic PDF generation, free for personal use.
>   PDFlib Lite does not support all languages, and is not available on
>   EBCDIC platforms.
> ----
>=20
> "Free for personal use" is not Free, and that's why the licence must =
be acknowledged.
>=20
> Unless you have found explicit mention that it is definitely under the =
PHP licence?
>=20
> Chris
>=20
> [1] https://github.com/Distrotech/PDFlib-Lite

You are right. Although I did not claim it was free for general use.

It used to be free to distribute in binary form as long as it was =
accompanied
by certain required documents. And redistribution is all the project =
needs to
care about. Or am I mistaken in this regard?

Anyway - I just fetched the current source and the license included is =
vastly
different from the one I investigated in 2020. At that time pdflib-lite =
included
the document PDFlib-Lite-license.pdf from which I quote:

----------
3 Redistribution

Redistribution in binary or source form by a commercial organization to =
any third party are permitted provided that all of the following =
conditions are met. Redistributing the program under these condi- tions =
does not necessarily give the recipient the right to use the program; =
using the program is always subject to the conditions in section 2.
[...]
3.3 Binary Redistribution

Redistributions in binary (compiled) form must include this license, the =
documentation, and program- ming samples. Not all programming samples =
must be included, but only the samples for program- ming languages which =
are actually supported by the binary distribution. As an alternative to =
including the documentation in a binary distribution, the documentation =
may also be made available separately for free download on the Internet =
in unmodified form. This =C2=BBdownload=C2=AB exception does not apply =
to other files which are part of the original distribution.
----------

I put a copy of that license document here:
https://cloud.hausen.com/s/5o77H2mxK6TRKoD

I would be very interested to know when the distribution file on the =
FreeBSD "distfiles"
archive was exchanged, and and why?

If I am not completely mistaken about how licenses work any old archive =
of the software
one might find which contains the license document I cited instead of =
the one in the
current archive is covered by that older license and by that one alone.
You cannot change the license of something you published after the fact, =
can you?

Kind regards,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH
Patrick M. Hausen

Kaiserallee 13a
76133 Karlsruhe

Tel. +49 721 9109500

https://infrastructure.punkt.de
info@punkt.de

AG Mannheim 108285
Gesch=C3=A4ftsf=C3=BChrer: J=C3=BCrgen Egeling, Daniel Lienert, Fabian =
Stein