Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:23:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        matthew@venux.net (Matthew Hagerty)
Cc:        freebsd-mozilla@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What affects text box length?

> Why is it that no matter what size font that is used, a text box length
> does not change?  For example, if you make a form with one text box, then
> change the font size to say 10pt, the text in the box changes, but the
> length of the box stays the same.  Is there anyway to have text boxes
> change their size in proportion to the text size?  I was poking around in
> the code to see how the text box length was calculated, but I was soon lost :(

The text box size does not change because of right, left, top, and
bottom attachments.

This is a feature of layout.  This allows elements to retain their
orientation in the face of font changes.

This is necessary because text based broswers run on terminals, and
terminals are only capable of displaying data on character cell
boundaries.

The control you have is over the number of characters (do not confuse
this with octets!) that the text box will accept.

If you wish to change the layout, you beed to use frame/table layout.
The text box will be forced to conform to the container object in
which it is places.  When you use larger or smaller fonts, you will
cause scrolling of data within the text box.

Think of the text box as a hole in the screen, with a text area of
an arbitrary size: like ice fishing, the hole you cut will have no
effect on how much water is or is not underneath the ice.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.

with "unsubscribe freebsd-mozilla" in the body of the message