Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:03:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routers and such

Mike Tancsa recently said:

> At 11:02 PM 6/3/99 , Bruce Campbell wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> >
> >mike> >Rest assured that FreeBSD will handle your needs for some
> >mike> >time to come.
> >mike>
> >mike> I think the major place where FreeBSD falls down in terms
> >mike> of routing is software. Although gateD does the job, you
> >mike> dont nearly have the same features as you would with a
> >mike> higher end Cisco.

> >If you want an expensive reliable black box with a few blinking
> >lights, buy a Cisco. If you want a Cisco-like features on an
> >intel platform, choose mrt or zebra, both in the ports collection
> >I believe. Gated ain't the only PC-routing game in town.

> >(Not that I've got any but passing knowledge with either, and my
> >cisco experience consists of replacing at short notice the core
> >Bay router of my previous employment)

> >If you're serious about shifting data, get a serious router.
> >Anything with moving parts is not 'serious' enough.

> Depends how much you want to move, and how much you want to spend,
> and what sort of knowledge base you have to draw on. $2K for a
> pair of PEECEE routers, v.s. $20K, and then service contracts,
> IOS revs is a lot of money to spend if you dont need to. I have
> been to customer sites where they have 4700s with IP+ to move
> data across a fractional T1. That was serious... Serious waste of
> money.

Well I have a few Cicso's - only 1 had a service contract on it -
to get the new ROMS upgrade - an older 2501.  The other 2501/7/11's
are not under contract, and were purchased used.

Our 7513 was also purchased used with a HSSI care, 8 serial ports,
8 ethernet ports, dual power supplies, for $32K - 1.5 years old,
new in the box, surplus.  It has no contract.  (severe overkill but
a contract required a DS3 link, and as it was more expandable, and
not that much more money, that's why it was done).

Used market Cicso's are decent bargains - check the industrial type
mags for those who sell them.  Depending on levels you may not need
the latest IOS.

--
bv@wjv.com