Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:20:09 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Jean M. Vandette" <vandj@securenet.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ISP@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS server

"Jean M. Vandette" wrote:

> Greetings all....
>
> I just finished making up a new system disk to upgrade one of our
> servers to 3.2-STABLE because we use nfsd I have attempted to
> set this up on the new disk.
>
> On start-up I get the following in the message logs.
>
> Aug 13 21:11:50 squid mountd[126]: can't register mount
> Aug 13 21:11:50 squid nfsd:[129]: can't register tcp with portmap
>
> If I start "mountd -r " and "nfsd -u -t -n 4" manually after the system is
> up no problem it just won't do it automatically at boot... rpc.statd doesn't
> even try to start.
>
> The setup is exactly the same as the 2.2.8-STABLE machine which
> is working fine.
> I'm a bit puzzled any ideas where to look or what to try?

	What have you set in /etc/rc.conf[.local] to start nfs? There are several
knobs that should be copied from /etc/defaults/rc.conf and modified, make
sure to examine that file thoroughly.

Good luck,

Doug
PS, Next time please send questions like this to freebsd-questions. They
will get answered faster.