Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 12:52:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        lconrad@Go2France.com (Len Conrad)
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dummynet -> rate limiting

> Luigi > With dummynet you can achieve almost the same effect by setting a
> pipe with a very low bit rate, and yes, this will penalize big packets
>
> But if we could filter and rate-limit by protocol type, ie, icmp, smtp,
> ftp, then we could slice our pipe to fit our needs (icmp very low, smtp
> low, http hi, ftp wherever).

that's exactly what you can do with ipfw -- write reasonably detailted
rulesets to filter on protocols, port, addresses, flags or not, etc.
and use different limitations (= dummynet pipes) for the various things.

I'll stay out of the bw-mgr/dummynet discussion since dummynet is my
(third) baby and have never used bw-mgr.

	cheers
	luigi