Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 14:33:31 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@megadeth.org>
Cc:        Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMI MegaRAID 466?

On Saturday, 19 February 2000 at 19:07:06 -0800, Shawn Ramsey wrote:
> At 05:54 PM 2/19/00 -0600, Tim Tsai wrote:
>>   It is but apparently there are some problems with the support for that
>> card at the moment.  See freebsd-current for a current thread on it.
>
> I did search... I found a message from Mike that this card does work. On
> another note, does anyone have any opinion about Vinm versus this (or
> similar) card for RAID0? I may be putting together a moderate news server
> (140 gigs or so), and from what I hear Vinum + regular SCSI disks may be
> just as fast, or maybe even faster.

The jury's still out on this one.

> Anyone have any other thoughts on this?  I've seen Gregs page with
> the performace versus a VERY old DPT card, but that card is so old
> its not really fair compared to todays cards....

Correct.  There are a number of things wrong on that web page.

Mike Smith and I have been meaning to do some definitive tests for
some time, but we need some tuits.  At the moment, the best I can say
is that we don't know which performs better.  Vinum will typically
saturate a SCSI disk, so it's not clear that the hardware solutions
can be better.

Greg