Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:25:37 -0600
From:      "Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
Subject:   RE: Deletable default accounts?

Hi,

    Most of this default accounts are for system use primarly, they are
disabled by default in 2 ways:

1.- They have the "/sbin/nologin" shell by default wich its for not to give
a login shell to this account.
2.- They are disabled by default, look in the /etc/master.passwd, and you
will find an "*" in the password field, this indicates that this or any
account having an "*" mark will never login. BTW this is usefull when you
want to disable a user account without deleting it, just run vipw and add a
"*" mark in to the password of the user, and when you want to re-enable this
user again, just remove the "*" mark from the password of the user.

    So I think it wouldnt be wise if you take this accounts out of your
system, they dont represent a security risk.

Greetings
Ales