Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:18:28 +0100
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anti-Virus for SMTP

>>Amavis is fine if you're prepared to take a serious performance hit. If
>>your server is already groaning under its load, forget it. It works very
>>well though, even with McAfee (probably the last AV I'd use if the amavis
>>port didn't default to it).
>
>It is a bit harsh CPU wise, but it seems to work reliably and NAI
>does provide regular updates.  Which combo are you using on FreeBSD ?

Avamis-PERL is being daemonized to remove the hit of loading up PERL
for every msg.

Daemonizing PERL with SpeedyCGI does not work with Amavis since
SpeedyCGI does not pass required results from the AV scanner to
Amavis.  The SpeedyCGI developer agrees to  make changes but they are
substantial and will take time. A daemonized Avamis will be ready
before SpeedCGI is fixed, but there is no date for it.

I use Amavis-PERL-10 with Kaspersky and postfix and it works
well.  My IMGate group is trying put together a script, vs a FreeBSD
port, that installs all of the numerous cast members (compressors,
PERL modules, Kaspersky stufff) since the recent Amavis port for
FreeBSD doesn't support postfix and apparently won't for some time.

Len

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : Binary for ISC BIND 8.2.3 T9B for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways