Date:      Wed, 09 May 2001 09:51:21 -0400
From:      Damien Tougas <damien@carroll.com>
To:        Walter Betancourt <walt@betan.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: dump vs tar?

--On Wednesday, May 09, 2001 09:08:58 -0400 Walter Betancourt
<walt@betan.com> wrote:

> Damien,
>
> Could you give me a procedure to use dump to clone a complete hard drive
> to a larger drive that would boot and work identical to the original ?

The dumping part is easy. The more complicated part is properly
partitioning and slicing the disk. I won't get into the details of that,
the a good source of documentation on the process is in The Complete
FreeBSD by Greg Lehey, and there is some information in the Handbook.

Once you have sliced the disk the way you want it and newfs'd it (assuming
ad0 is the old disk, and ad1 is the new disk), cloning a filesystem using
dump can be done as follows:

1. Mount the new filesystem:

# mount /dev/ad1s1a /mnt

2. Clone the filesystem using dump/restore:

# cd /mnt
# dump -0af - / | restore -rf -

3. Repeat for other filesystems as required:

# mount /dev/ad1s1e /mnt
# cd /mnt
# dump -0af - /usr | restore -rf -
etc...