Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 20:11:00 -0400
From:      "Charles M. Richmond" <cmr@iisc.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, brett@lariat.org
Subject:   Affect of BSD mail/mailx bug in Solaris (was: Re: Corrected...

> >amaterasu% echo "~\!cat /var/mail/root" | mailx cmr
> >cat: cannot open /var/mail/root
> >!
> >No message !?!
> >

> >Does this mitigate the problem sufficiently?

> Not if the process invoking mail really is running as root,
> as a periodic maintenance script would.

Remember /usr/bin/mail is fine. Only the BSD compatible mailx has
the problem and I am pretty sure that no Sun scripts use mailx or
its link, /usr/ucb/mail. So not only would the script have to be
running as root, it would have to allow non-root users to input
arguments, it would have to use a deprecated version of mail
and the default root shell would have had to have been changed
from 'sh' to 'csh'.  Not to say that Sun shouldn't fix this.
Clearly they should. I am just saying that there doesn't seem
to be a means of failure without the admin coniving in his/her
own destruction.

Charlie

PS The mail & mailx on Tru64/Digital Unix seems ok.

PPS: /usr/lib/acct/ckpacct and /usr/lib/acct/runacct both use
mailx but have fixed args and force the shell to sh.  Ain't grep
wonderful *g*

*  Charles Richmond    Integrated International Systems Corporation   *
*  cmr@iisc.com   cmr@acm.org   cmr@shore.net   http://www.iisc.com   *
*  UNIX Internals, I18N, L10N, X, Realtime Imaging, and  Custom S/W   *
*         131 Bishop's Forest Drive , Waltham , Ma. USA 02452         *
*  (781) 647 2269   FAX (781) 647 3665   Cellular (781) 389 9777      *