Date:      Tue, 01 Oct 2002 15:22:10 -0400
From:      Larry Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>, Aaron Namba <aaron@namba1.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD's tar susceptible to this?

On Tuesday, October 1, 2002, at 02:23 PM, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 11:46 AM 10/1/2002, Matt Piechota wrote:
>
>> Fearing the off-topic avalanche that's going to come of this...
>>
>> Why the GPL?  It would have been just as likely to happen in BSD tar,
>
> It would be less likely, because the BSDs have more peer review and
> more careful auditing.

This is not because of the BSDL or GPL though.  It is because of the
project's makeup.  Politics aside, a license has nothing to do with the
quality of the work, or lack thereof.  And many *BSD and BSDL products
have had security problems.  Now sure, the zlib problem was avoided.
But FreeBSD has had it's own recent spate of problems.  I am not sure
this discussion is even appropriate in this forum.  If we are
vulnerable it needs to be fixed, period.  Let's not use a security
problem for political maneuvering.

--Larry