Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 21:14:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BootEasy? It ain't so easy for *me*!

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> The bottom line is that on two entirely different x86 systems, the F1
> function key seems to have been left in an entirely disfunctional state
> immediately following an install of FreeBSD 2.2.2 and an immediately
> following WARM reboot.
>
> A cold reboot (power cycling the whole system) made the F1 key come back
> to life, and I am now happily running FreeBSD.

> QUESTION:  Were there some known problems with the 2.2.2 keyboard driver
> leaving the keyboard (or at least the F1 key) in a dysfunctional state
> at times?

That is really strange.  I can't say I've heard of that happening.

> The keyboards I have here are not exactly spring chickens anymore.  Is it
> possible that there is some obscure issue which only arises with older
> keyboards?  (Actually, my keyboards are not THAT old... but certainly
> each is at least several years old now.)

Some really old keyboards (_really_) weren't fast enough for modern
keyboard controllers and won't work.  I have an ancient AST keyboard that
makes my Pentium beep incessantly during the BIOS boot.

> P.S.  Both of the two keyboards where I have seen this problem are of the
> traditional type (not PS/2) and both are also connected to their respective
> systems via additional 10' keyboard extension coards (so that I can put
> the systems in the closet, where they can make all the noise they want
> without bothering me).

The extension could potentially cause problems if it's receiving
interference, since they often aren't shielded.  I've used extensions
before without any problems however.  I've only had one keyboard problem
and that was on the motherboard controller.

> Is it possible that the length of these keyboard extension cables could be
> contributing to the problem?  Or is my paranoid about cable length just
> carrying over (improperly) from my personal misery sessions with various
> SCSI chains?

I can't say, it depends on the hardware in question.  You'd have to try it
w/o the extension cable and see if it helps.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo