Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:27:38 +0100
From:      Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: PKGNAMEPREFIX for Java ports

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 05:48:42PM +0200, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> Many users nowadays use portupgrade to update their ports, myself
> included. Isn't this proposed scheme going to require that portupgrade
> be taught about how to properly update java ports (change the ports name
> and stuff)?
>
> Just some food for thought.

Well I agree that's the main problem. There is only a problem when you change
your JDK for another Java version (e.g. 1.3 -> 1.4). Anyway, it is the same as
for the recent Ruby/portupgrade issue we had (switching from Ruby 1.6 to Ruby
1.8). Renaming the package is not the best solution IMHO. Let's consider again
jakarta-commons-logging. If I rename my package to
java14-jakarta-commons-logging, users may think it is compiled with JDK 1.4
logging API support, which is not actually the case. So, the way I see it, a
better practice would be:

$ pkgdb -Fa

[everything depending on JDK 1.3 will now depend on JDK 1.4]

$ portupgrade -fr java/jdk14 -x java/jdk14

[everything depending on java/jdk14 will get rebuilt]

But that's maybe too heavy when only one or two ports are concerned. In such a
case, I would recommend the following (excuse any wrong command here, as we are
talking about something that does not exit, and thus I can't really test before
posting):

$ pkg_info -xqo java13- >/tmp/ports.toberebuilt

[list all concerned ports. '-o' lists the "origin" port of the package]

$ pkgdb -Fa

[everything depending on JDK 1.3 will now depend on JDK 1.4]

$ portupgrade -f `cat /tmp/ports.toberebuilt`

[rebuild concerned ports]

I don't know much about the implementation of pkgdb but maybe those steps could
be enforced by the Fix (-F) command as you suggest in your message. BTW, pkgdb
is part of the base system so this would not only affect portupgrade users.

Thanks for your comments.

Herve