Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:31:45 -0800
From:      "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
To:        Uwe Doering <gemini@geminix.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Questions

--KIzF6Cje4W/osXrF

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:59:44AM +0100, Uwe Doering wrote:
> Loren M. Lang wrote:

[...]

> >3.  The handbook seems to suggest to use the config, make, make install
> >procedure for installing the kernel if you have no other reason for not
> >using it, what is the reason for this?  (The paragraph immediately
> >following procedure 2)
>=20
> This sequence takes care that all the modules get installed together=20
> with the matching kernel, that a backup of both the kernel and the=20
> modules is available (suffix '.old') in case the new kernel doesn't work=
=20
> properly, and it also deals with the system immutable flag ('schg') that=
=20
> protects '/kernel' from being deleted or clobbered by accident.  You=20
> would have to do all these things by hand if you didn't use the=20
> recommended sequence.

I mean why use that procedure over a make buildkernel installkernel, I
thought they both did all that.

>=20
>    Uwe
> --=20
> Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
> gemini@geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net
rg"
>=20
>=20
> !DSPAM:40504843233956013019169!
>=20

--=20
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.
Bluescreen leads to downtime.
Downtime leads to suffering.
NT is the path to the darkside.
Powerful Unix is.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C
=20

--KIzF6Cje4W/osXrF

--KIzF6Cje4W/osXrF--