Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2018 22:08:28 +0100
From:      Sven Vermeulen <sven@freegw.xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from 10.4 stable to 11.0 releng fails

COMPAT_FREEBSD10 was indeed missing in my custom kernel config.

Now after a reboot the system continues, but then natd failed to start:

# /etc/rc.d/natd start
Starting natd.
natd: unknown interface name xl0
/etc/rc.d/natd: WARNING: failed to start natd

While xl0 is up and running:

# ifconfig xl0
xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
         options=82009<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
         ether 00:50:da:e3:31:f6
         inet 82.94.48.144 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 82.94.48.144
vhid 255
         inet 10.0.0.150 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.0.255 vhid 3
         nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
         status: active

Is this because of the new binaries (natd) are not yet installed?