Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:29:48 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Jay O'Brien" <jayobrien@att.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD - questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: root access to ftp, telnet

--8P1HSweYDcXXzwPJ

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 08:23:08PM -0700, Jay O'Brien wrote:
> Bill Moran wrote:
> > Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@att.net> wrote:

> >>After I first connect via telnet as a user and attempt su,=20
> >>the response is "you are not in the correct group (wheel)=20
> >>to su root."

> > Add the user to the wheel group who you want to be able su.

> Thanks; I found /etc/group and edited the wheel line. Now I can=20
> telnet in and su to root.  I see it was that way on the old=20
> setup. I must have added my user name to wheel when I set it=20
> up the first time, but I didn't document that selection, so I=20
> didn't repeat it when rebuilding.

Eeek!  You do realise you've just sent the root password across your
network in plain text?  Maybe your network is completely secure and
you aren't running a risk by doing that, but on the whole it's a
really bad idea.  Get into the habit of using ssh(1) routinely for
your own peace of mind, if nothing else.  You can also replace ftp(1)
for many purposes by scp(1) or rsync(1) (from the net/rsync port),
both of which operate over ssh(1).

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20