Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:51:58 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Steve Benzel <sbenzel@berry.edu>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jdk14 location

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 09:30:28AM -0400, Steve Benzel wrote:

>    I am a new freebsd user and am having some difficulties
>  locating the java ports. Could you please tell me the exact
>  location (for i386) of the jdk14 port on ftp.freebsd.org.

I assume you mean:

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/java/jdk14/

The only wat to FTP that from one of the FreeBSD servers is to grab
the ports.tar.gz snapshot from:

    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports/ports.tar.gz

which is a snapshot of the ports tree created on a daily basis.
However, that's the *whole* ports tree (all 11,000 odd ports), and as
the README.TXT file in that directory on the FTP sites says, using
cvsup(1) to maintain an up to date copy of the ports tree is way more
efficient.  See:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html

If however you're after a pre-compiled *package* of java/jdk14, then
you're out of luck I'm afraid.  Licensing restrictions (ie. the
FreeBSD project not having an OEM License agreement with Sun to
distribute J2SE 1.4.2 software) means that the only way to get hold of
java/jdk14 is to sign up to the Sun Community Source License, download
the source code and a whole pile of FreeBSD specific patches and
compile the whole thing yourself.  The java/jdk14 port will instruct
you on exactly what to do, and take care of all of the details of
compilation and installation.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20