Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:34:51 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Andrew Belashov <bel@orel.ru>
Cc:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic: ipi_send: couldn't send ipi

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 12:16:20PM +0400, Andrew Belashov wrote:

> I have install this patch.
>
> Hardware: Sun Ultra 60 Creator 3D, 2 x UltraSparc IIi @ 450 MHz, 1 GB
> memory.
>
> OS: FreeBSD bel.localdomain 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #32:
> Tue Sep 28 11:14:38 MSD 2004
> bel@bel.localdomain:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SUNC3D  sparc64
>
> Messages from console:
>
> cpu_ipi_send: raised ipi_retries_max to 2000
> cpu_ipi_send: raised ipi_retries_max to 3000

Thank you very much for testing this out.

Unless someone thinks this would be a problem I'll wait another couple
of days and if nobody else has any further input I'll leave the existing
code as-is but bump the max retries to 5000 for the 5.3 release.  I'm
still curious about what the underlying problem is but it'll take some
time to track down I think.  I did manage to find a machine to test
this on late yesterday and some initial attempts at triggering the
problem by generating a lot of disk I/O didn't seem to trigger it.

Your case seems to be a bit extreme - I'm wondering if it has something
to do with the Creator 3D.  I don't think it is the only thing that can
cause the problem to crop up but it might be something that makes the
situation "worse".

Kris, was your problem machine one of the machines here?  Both of
them at least have Creator 3D's in them though how much they'd be
touched depends on what your kernel config says.  I know you're
using the serial consoles but I suppose it's possible there is
still some sort of "interference" the Creator 3D's could have
given the machine might vaguely touch them at boot time.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu