Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:59:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Yan Wang <ywang4@cs.pitt.edu>
To:        richard childers / kg6hac <fscked@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: transparent cfs (tcfs)

Richard,

Thank you for your information.

I got the response of TCFS authors, a group at University of Salerno, Italy,
saying they have stopped the project. My impression is that it is pretty
tough to port from OpenBSD to FreeBSD. The kernel part is very different.
No wonder tcfs is not available at FreeBSD.org.

Interestingly, I also got a response from OpenBSD community. They also
stopped the project to include tcfs into OpenBSD, because the software
license problem. tcfs was not intended to be free.

As far as I know, AT&T's CFS is based on the work of Matt Blaze. What I
heard is that it is implemented at the user space, only supporting
directory encryption not file-level. Richard, is this true? I might
reconsider using CFS.

Thanks,

Yan