Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:49:37 -0500
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
To:        Alan Gerber <agerber@ncsu.edu>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Subject:   Re: Dell D600 - sleep / acpi in FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE

Alan> David Gilbert wrote:

>>  On my D800 (which is a completely different nvidia beast), it
>> works to 'xset dpms force off' the screen immediately before
>> suspending.  ACPI suspending to S1 still leaves the processor
>> needing the cooling fan for me --- so it's not ideal.  S3 suspend
>> reboots the machine.

Alan> I didn't know about that command.  I just tried it and it works
Alan> nicely for turning off the display from within X.  However, when
Alan> you enter S1 (via something like 'xset dpms force off &&
Alan> acpiconf -s 1'), the screen turns back on and changes to the
Alan> system console.  I'd think about putting this in an
Alan> rc.suspend-like script, but given that it is an xset command, I
Alan> doubt that would work.  Or is there another way to do this that
Alan> I am missing?

Well... you can see if the green_saver.ko will do dpms for you.
Dunno.  For me, turning off the backlight makes more difference in
suspend run time than S1 does.  I'm not sure S1 helps at all, really.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave@daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |