Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:49:18 +0000
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
To:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@withagen.nl>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.10 -> 5.3 migration; what happens to vinum volumes?

--aSM3KCOUSI0G0tph

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 11:38:54PM +0100, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> Ceri Davies wrote:
> >On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 08:58:36PM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:
> >
> >>I have a 4.10-STABLE machine that I want to migrate to 5.3-STABLE.  Most
> >>of the bases are covered, but I'm not sure what to expect for my vinum
> >>volumes.  I don't have anything esoteric (see attached config), but can
> >>I just expect "sed -i.bak -e 's/vinum/gvinum/' /etc/fstab" to leave me
> >>with working volumes?
> >
> >Should I take it that nobody knows, or that nobody wants to say?
>=20
> From what I've seen on the lists, I'd be carefull to go that route yet=20
> with doing a full backup of all data.
> Lets say that gvinum has still rough edges. But then those only get=20
> smoothed out by people taking the leap.
>=20
> There have also been raports on succes. So I guess the reason nobody=20
> replied is just because there is no consensus. Also look in the GEOM@=20
> archive for several threads on this topic.

OK, that's something at least.  Obviously I'll take a backup anyway but
I'm trying to cut down time anywhere I can, so knowing that I have some
chance of it working is something at least.  Thanks.

> For my main fileserver I've stopped at 5.1 at this moment. I need to=20
> test more before I go there, but I can't seem to find mucht time lately.=
=20
>  It that the customers pay the bills for not playing around. :()

Damn those customers and their putting-bread-on-the-table ways ;-)

Ceri
--=20
not sure about the former.			  -- Einstein (attrib.)

--aSM3KCOUSI0G0tph

--aSM3KCOUSI0G0tph--