Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:39:05 +0100
From:      Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
To:        albi <albi@scii.nl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to use X without installing X?

albi wrote:
> Richard Morse wrote:
>
>> Apparently, in order to run the installer for 9i, it needs X.  But, I
>> figure it shouldn't need all of X, because I intend to connect via
>> `ssh -X` from a different computer which is running X to actualy do
>> the display.  However, even once I've installed 'x11/xorg-libraries',
>> when I `ssh -X` to the box $DISPLAY is not set.
>

> did you enable X-forwarding in the sshd-config ? afaik indeed only the
> X-libraries are needed to make remote X over ssh work

For X-forwarding to work, you need to have /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth on your
server. That is, you have to install xorg-clients too.

--

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341