Date:      Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:26:13 -0400
From:      Vinny Abello <vinny@tellurian.com>
To:        Huang wen hui <huang@gddsn.org.cn>,stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acc Monitor error message

At 11:25 PM 8/17/2005, Huang wen hui wrote:
>hi,
>I have DELL PE4600 server with acc driver , running 5.4 Release.
>when system boot, got this message:
>
>Mounting root from ufs:/dev/aacd0s1a
>aac0: **Monitor** ID(0:02:0); Error Event [command:0x2a]
>aac0: **Monitor** ID(0:02:0); Hardware Error [k:0x4,c:0x19,q:0x0]
>aac0: **Monitor** ID(0:02:0); Defect List Error
>
>The system uptime is 87 days and I do not hit any problem. Is this
>message harmless?

It looks like your PERC RAID controller might be telling you there is
a detected problem with one of the drives (id 2), possibly. I'm not
sure what a SMART error looks like coming from the aac driver in
FreeBSD, but that could possibly be it. Usually, the drive in
question will physically change the status light from solid green to
a flashing amber or flashing amber and green... I think the later if
it's a SMART failure. If everything looks ok on the server, someone
more knowledgeable about the aac driver and PERC controllers would
have to comment.

Then again I could be misinterpreting it, but seeing as you got no
other responses it's a place to start looking. Look at the drive in slot 2.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny@tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain