Date:      Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:23:38 -0700
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        jesse <marquezjesse@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance gain?

jesse wrote:
> Is there any performance gain when using Standard-PC HAL over ACPI-PC
> HAL? I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE on a abit KR7A(KT266A) motherboard.
> I currently have APIC disabled in the bios, ACPI disabled at boot and I
> feel like my system is snappier. Just wondering if there is any truth to
> this.

There should be no difference.  The implementation of ACPI on some
boards will block interrupts while the embedded controller is being
polled.  But yours is not a laptop so it doesn't have an EC.

If you can enable fine grained profiling (config -g -g KERNELNAME) and
then run gprof(8), perhaps you can see where the performance is going.

--
Nate