Date:      Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:51:49 +0200
From:      VANHULLEBUS Yvan <vanhu_bsd@zeninc.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  IPSec tcp session stalling ( me too ) ...

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 10:01:46PM +0100, Volker wrote:
[....]
> Is anybody else here with deep TCP + IPSec knowledge able to get a look
> into this? Any known issues? Is there anything I might also check out?
> Is there a 64k limit with IPSec? :(

IPSec works, even for huge datas sessions: I'm using it every day, and
a lot of my customers would already have complained about it if there
were such problems ! :-)

As I said before, this really looks like problems I regulary see, when
the ESP packets will have to be fragmented (ESP adds an encapsulation
level).

Use a lower MTU on your traffic endpoints or play with the TCPMSS
value on one gate (at least pf can be configured to do that), and
ensure that there is no more fragmented ESP packets between the IPSec
gates (of course, TCPMSS solution is easier to set up, but will only
work for TCP sessions...).

ESP maximum overhead is 4 (SPI) + 4 (seq number) + 255 (padding) + 2
(pad len + next header) + 96 (SHA-1-96 auth value, see RFC 2404)
bytes, but usually, overhead will be around 100 bytes (including
authentication, but ESP should really not be used without
authentication), so setting up for internal hosts an MTU of (Public
Interface MTU) - 150 should be enough, without really decreasing
global performances.

You should also have better performances when this will be fixed.

Yvan.

--
NETASQ - Secure Internet Connectivity
http://www.netasq.com