Date:      Sun, 04 Dec 2005 11:14:20 -0600
From:      Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
To:        Jon Hancock <jhancock@patternware.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Q ML <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cvsup update and source sync confusion

Jon Hancock wrote:
> I am confused about how to cvsup my freeBSD 6 system.  I understand the
> ports update stuff.  Lots of good doc on this.  Its updating the rest of
> the system that don't understand.
>
> My current adventure beging when I read the 3ware knowledgebase article
> http://www.3ware.com/kb/article.aspx?id=14850 .  It says the latest
> source for the twa driver is at
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/twa/ and
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/modules/twa/
>
> All good and well except that I don't know how to sync these sources and
> the handbook tells me that I shouldn't update just part of my source
> tree.
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html :
>
> *Warning:* While it is possible to update only parts of your source
> tree, the
> only supported update procedure is to update the entire tree and
> recompile both userland
> (i.e., all the programs that run in user space, such as those in /bin
> and /sbin) and kernel sources.
> Updating only part of your source tree, only the kernel, or only
> userland will often
> result in problems. These problems may range from compile errors to
> kernel panics or data
> corruption.
>
> Note, that this is all that is said on the subject.  I looked in many
> cvsup docs and cannot find a simple way to sync the two directories.  I
> needed "HEAD" for just those two directories.  I ended up using the web
> browser interface to display each source file, saved each file and
> copied them to the server.  Since this was only about 20 files, it was
> not too bad.  But it leaves me thinking this was not the intended
> procedure.   Can anyone enlighten me?
>
> While trying to get the latest twa driver code I tried each of the
> following:
>
> cvsup -L 2 -h cvsup.FreeBSD.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
>     and
> cvsup -L 2 -h cvsup.FreeBSD.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
>
> After each completed, I checked my local /sys/dev/twa directories and
> the latest files were not sync'd.
> So neither of these worked which I found odd.
>
> /usr/share/examples/cvsup/README says:
>
> To maintain the sources for the FreeBSD-current release, use:
>
>    standard-supfile            Main source tree
>
>    ports-supfile               Ports collection
>
> To maintain the sources for the FreeBSD-stable release, use:
>
>    stable-supfile              Main source tree
>

> I though FreeBSD-current meant the 7.0 branch???  If so, why is the file
> called "standard-supfile"?  Also, the handbook says FreeBSD-stable is
> just a bit behind current.  So why did neither of these get me the
> latest twa driver source?
>
> thanks, ke han

Those are there as examples. In the end, it's up to you to know what
rel-tags to use.

If you want to follow the 6.0 security branch, use RELENG_6_0
For 6-STABLE, RELENG_6

Otherwise - look here: http://www.freebsd.org/releng/index.html

--
Best regards,
Chris

When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade.