Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2007 20:21:52 -0400
From:      Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>
To:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Nejc =?iso-8859-1?Q?=A9koberne?= <nejc@skoberne.net>
Subject:   Re: UTF-8 in console

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 12:02:12AM +0200, Nejc =A9koberne wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I am have many FreeBSD 5.x and 6.x servers installed and I have this in my
> /etc/profile:
>=20
> LANG=3Dsl_SI.UTF-8; export LANG
> MM_CHARSET=3DUTF-8; export MM_CHARSET
>=20
> because I am using UTF-8 encoding with PuTTY. It works with most=20
> applications
> but not with "dialog". For example, I get this when using UTF-8:

dialog is probably built/linked with the normal "libncurses" rather than
"libncursesw" (and corresponding configure option to use the
wide-character features).  That's one part of the problem.

Another is that PuTTY does not honor VT100-style line-drawing when it's
doing UTF-8.  You can tell ncurses that's the case by setting the
NCURSES_NO_UTF8_ACS environment variable (added 20050312).  Then it'll
use +'s and -'s, etc., to do ASCII line-drawing.  To get nice
line-drawing in PuTTY in UTF-8, you have to use the wide-character
libncursesw.

--=20
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net