Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:25:28 -0400
From:      Michael Williams <gberz3@gmail.com>
To:        Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
Cc:        koitsu@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Tom Samplonius <tom@samplonius.org>, Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Subject:   Re: HOW TO:  Enabling root on a new server?

First, the output of the grep is:

root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
toor:*:0:0:Bourne-again Superuser:/root:
daemon:*:1:1:Owner of many system processes:/root:/usr/sbin/nologin

. . .that said, the Plesk Module Loader only allows for ".tgz" and
".tbz" files and is anal about them being of a "module" format,
whatever structure may be.  I've tried what I thought were
appropriate modules, and it rejected them saying they were not true
modules.

I'm going to call one more time today.  If I get no better
assistance, I will seek out a different company.  If you all have any
recommendations let me know.  Obviously, the best solution would be
to have my ISP set me up with a static IP and massive amounts of
bandwidth.  But, seeing as how that's at least a good 30 years off. . .

Regards,
Michael

On Jul 16, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Vince wrote:

> For most versions of plesk i've come across (I look after a load of
> linux servers with it installed,) if you have the plesk admin then you
> have root. Look for the modules option, then look for the add modules,
> this should let you upload a shell script which is then run as root
> (horribly insecure but thats plesk, and if you fiddle with their
> setting
> enough you can change the css of the webapp not to display the
> page) If
> this is the same on FreeBSD as on linux you can create a new UID 0
> user
> if need be using pw in a shell script, or you can put a ssh public key
> in to roots authorized_keys file. I'd definitely advise you get plesk
> removed if you intend to administrate the box by hand though.
>
> 	If thats no help, when you log into the box by ssh, what is the
> output of
> grep root /etc/passwd
> it should be something like
> root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
> if not then they have renamed/removed root so try looking in /etc/
> passwd
>  for a user with uid of 0 (third field.)
> This should at least get you a username to ask their support about. If
> they have actually removed the root user your a bit stuffed and
>
> Hope some of thats some help.
>
> Vince
>

> Michael Williams wrote:
>> Tom,
>>
>> Again, Plesk just came with the server config we asked for.  We
>> didn't
>> ask for Plesk, we *asked* for the specific hardware.  Plesk was
>> "free".
>> *rolls eyes*
>>
>> Regards,
>> Michael

>>>   You are probably better off just asking the hosting company for
>>> the
>>> password.  You need the root password, and you need to have an