Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2007 04:20:12 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: single user mode broken on RELENG_7

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 09:22:03AM +0100, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> Since I switched to RELENG_7 I cannot use /rescue/vi in single user mode any
> more. It will just print everything in the bottom line of the screen, so it's
> impossible to navigate in a document or see what you're doing.

Are you on from a serial console or something like that?  (E.g. ssh'd
into a machine, then using console or a Portmaster or cu/tip).

The reason I mention this: I see what you do when I'm on a machine
remotely via serial console in single-user mode (e.g. using Windows XP
with PuTTY to ssh into a machine and use console or cu to connect to
another box via serial console).

The solution for this is to run "stty rows XX columns YY" and specify
the size of your terminal window.  Also (in the case of PuTTY) saying
"setenv TERM xterm" should help too.

If you're doing all of this from the actual VGA console itself, make
sure your TERM is cons25 and not something else.