Date:      Wed, 05 Dec 2007 00:26:06 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel config for networking

> it.  Right now, I have a cheapy junk-pile card that probes as a dc0
> working, but my motherboard has two nfe's (nfe0 & nfe1) that show up on
> the desmg.  If I use ifconfig and activate them, the whole machine comes
> to a complete halt (complete, neither console nor ssh sessions work,
> machine is dead to the world apparently) and this starts whenever I use
> ifconfig to turn up either nfe0 or nfe1.
>
> I've complained before, but a new possibility occurred to me, while I
> was slowly reading the NOTES in /sys/i386/conf, that the networking
> stuff is very sensitive to order.  Is that still true?  If I have a dc
> device and a nfe device, do I need to be aware of anything as regards
> the config file statement order?

I always preserve kernel ordering same as GENERIC, costs little time
& can save agro/ risk. If that doesnt fix it, maybe try nve for comparison
(thoug of course nasty binary), here's an extravt from a mail:

--------
Old driver was called NVE,
   - Ran at 100 Mbit/s but falsely reported running at 10.
   - Was based on common binary only code common to Microsoft Linux & BSD.
For FreeBSD-6.2-RELEASE
	New NFE driver available some months
	as a set of source patches, steadily improving.
FreeBSD-7.0-RELEASE (out soon) will have NFE & NVE inbuilt.
	( FreeBSD-7.0-BETA3 has it already )
FreeBSD-6.3-RELEASE (out soon, same time as 7.0 ) will Not have NFE inbuilt
-------

Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com> has posted stuff to stable@ on nfe
BTW Search engine on www.freebsd.org hsnt been good for Message-IDs for
months, google is better (Open & Net use google not own, maybe FreeBSD should)

	http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20071027030921.GC25452

--
Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
	Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.