Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 08:38:40 +1030
From:      "Martin Minkus" <diskiller@cnbinc.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.0 SMP Problem?

----- Original Message -----
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To: <sthaug@nethelp.no>
Cc: <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>; <diskiller@cnbinc.com>; <neil@synthcom.com>;
<freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 7:13 AM

> I have to echo these sentiments; I've been running softupdates on my
> SMP box and building frequent releases on it, among other disk-intensive
> exercises, and it works flawlessly.  Has for months, in fact, despite
> known-bugs getting fixed in soft updates during that time.
>
> - Jordan

Hrmm .... interesting. (please read my other reply about the broken MP
table).

Perhaps there is something obscure in this box that FBSD 4.0 doesn't like
too much. Perhaps the IDE controller, or the broken MP Table.

I've only ONCE had a crash that gave me an intruction pointer (which was
0xc01dead8, which i found to be pretty funny (ie: dead :)). This was a
custom kernel, and i did grep the symbols of /kernel but i forget what
function it was in.

Every other time, 80% of the time its a spontaneous reboot (doesn't say
anything), the other 20% its a spontaneous crash. I must say, its very
strange ....

Whats REAL strange ... in the upgrade from 3.4 to 4.0, i built the kernel,
rebooted, then the make buildworld, that all ran fine. Its as if make world
(CPU, Disk acitivity) is indeed 100% fine.

This machine's primary role is router, as well as sendmail, named, and
apache. Even when 100% idle, and only just routing packets on the LAN, it
crashed many time as 4.0. Perhaps its a bug with the ed0 driver, or tun0
driver ? (my guess is ed0 ?). I also have a WaveLAN in there, but i'm sure i
tried it several times with the WaveLAN out, so i assume the wi0 driver is
fine. So i only had tun0, and ed0, and once it dials up, it dies.

I seriously had this machine idle 100% killing off pretty much every
process, and just had it routing packets. 1 or 2 of us were just browsing
the web, and, crash. It did it again ?

I had a feeling it had something to do with network/routing .... I never
tried changing the network card, however. They're all cheap PCI
NE2000/Realtek clones.

This is what *3.4* detects my card as...

ed1: <NE2000 PCI Ethernet (RealTek 8029)> rev 0x00 int a irq 19 on pci0.17.0
ed1: address 00:40:05:3d:b1:85, type NE2000 (16 bit)

4.0 called it ed0. No, i don't have dmesg output. The entire machine was
clobbered and reinstalled fresh as 3.4. Once i get some more spare hdd's i
could have a play, i would love to have this resolved.

martin.

--
diskiller@cnbinc.com
Linux/FreeBSD hacker