Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 2002 17:55:54 -0500
From:      Nick Slager <zith@zith.net>
To:        Brent J Miller <brent@ebrent.org>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMWare and FreeBSD question

Thus spake Brent J Miller (brent@ebrent.org):

> Nick, I saw from the emulation list archive you have vmware running in a
> resolution higher than 640x480.  I installed vmware and windows 2000,
> then installed the vmware tools.  This automatically changed my display
> settings to 32 bit color, but left the resolution in 640x480.  I went to
> the settings tab and saw it would allow me to change the resolution to
> several settings up to my display's maximum supported resolution; I
> chose 1024x768 and it went to the resolution but hosed things up so that
> my vmware screen went blank and whenever I move the cursor, it repaints
> the screen behind it such that the entire desktop is shifted to the
> right like half a screen.  I rebooted vmware, thinking windows was just
> freaking out because it's windows, but it is still doing it.  Have you
> (or anyone) ever seen anything like this, and can you tell me how to fix
> it?  Thanks very much....

Hi Brent,

No, I haven't encountered behaviour like this before.

One thing you may want to double check is your X display server resolution
and color depth. At a guess, running VMware at 32bit color depth when your
X server is set for 16bit could cause various issues.

For reference, my X display runs at 1400x1050x16bpp. My Windows VM runs at
1024x768x16bpp.

Nick

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
  -- Douglas Adams