Date:      Thu, 27 May 2010 13:09:39 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Coert <lgroups@waagmeester.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portsnap and portupgrade question

On Thu, 27 May 2010 10:26:49 +0200, Coert <lgroups@waagmeester.co.za> wrote:
> I checked the man page, and the -PP option is indeed what I am looking for.

The -PP option forces packages. Keep in mind that it *may* happen
that there isn't a package for a specific port, or a package uses
the default options of a port (see "make config") that won't fit
your particular requirements.

> What I do see though, portupgrade is attempting to download the STABLE
> packages and not RELEASE.

I think it will use the packages that correspond to the version
actually present in your ports tree. If you updated your ports
tree using portsnap, it's newer than RELEASE.

> I have read nearly all of Chapter 24, and I looked at Chapter 4 as well.
> And I have scrunged through portsnap and portupgrade's man pages, but I
> can not yet find a way to force it to use RELEASE.

Just keep your ports tree as it came from the installation CD
or DVD. It will then be in the state of RELEASE unless you
update it (by "portsnap" or "make update").

> I apologize if this is maybe a stupid noob thing....

No need.

> Should I maybe not have used portsnap, so as to keep to ports tree that
> came with the release?

If you want to track RELEASE for your operating system anyway
(by "freebsd-update"), it's okay to stay with the ports tree
in the state of RELEASE.

In this case, you can even omit using portupgrade for upgrading,
simply because there is nothing to upgrade. :-)

If you decide to make a release switch, e. g. from 8.0 to 8.1,
it's a good chance to use "portupgrade -va" at this point in
time - after getting the ports tree.

> Is there a way to get the original release ports tree back?

Yes. First, delete /usr/ports. Then get the ports tree from the
installation CD or DVD, e. g. by using the "sysinstall" program.
If you want, you can remove everything except the system itself
and start all over (of course, only ports will be affected, the
system won't). You can obtain the -RELEASE ports tree also from
the Internet, download it, and install it. But if you already
have installation media, I think it's the easiest way to use
this via "sysinstall".

> Or should I maybe just be using STABLE?

You have to decide this. If you plan to install once, then use,
you can easily go with -RELEASE and its original ports tree. If
you think you will want or need to randomly or periodically
upgrade all your applications, go with -STABLE. Keep in mind
you can't track -STABLE with freebsd-update - there are other
means to do this (read "man freebsd-update"'s first paragraph
for an explaination why).

> Here is what I get when I run portupgrade -PPanv
> [...]
> ** No package available: net/rsync

Why not use "pkg_add -r rsync" here, with PACKAGESITE / PACKAGEROOT
set to the RELEASE subtree on the FreeBSD FTP server? The pkg_add
program is intended to be used with binary packages. If you mix
using pkg_add and portupgrade (which is possible), don't forget
to keep your installed package database up to date ("pkgdb -aF").

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany