Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 2010 05:43:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Thomas Donnelly <tad1214@aol.com>
Cc:        Mubeesh ali <mubeeshalivm@gmail.com>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: free bsd on laptops

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Thomas Donnelly wrote:
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
>>>
>> ATI is open source friendly. NVIDIA is not. Still, both generally work.
>>
> I must be missing something because to my knowledge FreeBSD does not have any
> 3D support for any modern ATi card

radeon(4x) has 3D acceleration, and 3D software seems to use it (I'm
not a serious 3D user, so there may be subtleties here).

As far as modern cards, it supports X- (X700), 1000- (1650, 1950),
2000-, 3000-, and 4000-series cards.  5000-series are not yet supported.

> while nVidia has 32 and 64 bit drivers that work very well for full 3D
> acceleration (needed for things like compiz).

Forum users have reported success with compiz on Radeon cards.  I have
not yet tried that (started but got distracted by other things).

> I am running 8-Stable amd64 with a GTX 260 in my desktop at work and
> it runs very fast. I would extremely highly recommend nVidia over ATi
> if you are going to be using FreeBSD. My Inspiron XPS has an ATi
> Mobility Radeon 9800 and not only does it not have 3D support, it also
> frequently hard locks when running the ATi driver. This laptop works
> fine with any other OS.

Mobility 9800 isn't explicitly listed as working with the radeon driver,
and of course it's very old.  A Dell integrated FireGL 9000 with 32M of
video RAM didn't seem to like 3D, either, but I don't know if that can
be blamed on just the radeon driver.

> Also, Intel Integrated works well and is a decent choice if you don't need
> lots of horsepower.

Well... there are problems with the way Intel is going with the driver.
The latest versions of the Intel integrated video hardware can be a
problem.