Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2012 13:38:16 -0600
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        H <hm@hm.net.br>
Cc:        Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>, Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD9 and the sheer number of problem reports

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 09:27:58AM -0300, H wrote:
> it is release engineering who could establish a little bit more time
> between code-freeze and RELEASE

As you will see from the (very) long discussion that you are about to
read, there has to be a compromise.  As it was, the release process was
too long, not too short.

Yes, we would like to get more testers pre-release, but that seems to
be more easily said than done.  Ideas appreciated.

You will also see in the thread that:

 - it is not possible to release bug-free code, and in fact

 - it is not possible to release code with no regressions whatsoever

if you are to ever release anything at all.

To summarize: yes, we do care: and yes, these are classical software
engineering problems that can only be dealt with, not solved completely.

mcl