Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:58:38 +0200
From:      "Daniel Eriksson" <daniel@toomuchdata.se>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        lists@midsummerdream.org
Subject:   RE: No Device Node assigned for HD?

> You have two options:
> 1. Use the RR2310 BIOS screen (or hptraidconf from inside FreeBSD) to
> initialize the drive and create a single drive JBOD array with it.
> 2. Connect the drive to a header on your motherboard and create a
> partition table on it, then reconnect it to your RR2310 card.

I would suggest doing #2 above if you don't plan on using the drive as
part of a RR2310-controlled array. If you add a partition table and let
your RR2310 card treat it as "Legacy" then the drive can be moved around
freely between motherboard connectors and RR2310 connectors. If you do
#1 then you need a RocketRAID card to access the data on the drive.

/Daniel Eriksson